Friday, May 6, 2016

International Tabletop Day 2016

Saturday, April 30.  International Tabletop Day.  I am entrenched in my usual weekend location, Phoenix Fire Games in Meridian Idaho.  The store is well stocked with games ranging from old and grizzled to pre-kickstarter beta tests and there are events running from open to close.  Since I happen to be here I thought I would share my experiences with you.
Game 1: Pass-A-Fist
IMG_0210[1]Pass-A-Fist is a casual, party style card game that is still in development and slated to hit Kickstarter in February.  Created locally by guys I really enjoyed chatting with, Russ and Mingo, have the same wry sense of humor I do and they did a great job of infusing their game with it.  The version I played was still in beta mode and didn't have the final art; though,  to be honest, I enjoyed the game enough that I didn't really notice.  I ended up getting knocked out while being a human shield for my boss.  Gotta kiss up somehow right?  To show his gratitude he was quickly K.O.ed by a paper cut.  I really liked the simple and solid core gameplay.  I was reminded somewhat of Superfight but I would much rather play Pass-A-Fist.  It's got a much lighter, enjoyable, argument free feel to it.  I will be watching the kickstarter on this one.
Game 2: Onitama
I always have trouble drawing comparisons with abstract games like Onitama.  It always IMG_0205[1]seems to default to chess.  Well.  Onitama is a little like chess.  Each player has 5 pawns, one is the big-daddy pawn and moving into an opposing pawn's square captures that pawn.  Don't write it off immediately if you aren't a chess player.  Rather than each pawn having a move there is a deck of cards with move templates printed on them.  Each player gets two at the start of the game and then a fifth is dealt out.  Once a player uses a move on his card he passes it to his opponent and takes whichever one is in the middle.  It's a nice looking, quick, thoughtful game.  I liked scanning the board for potential moves and danger zones, but I don't seem to be very good at it.  I got wrecked. Twice.  The box gets a big thumbs up for managing it's space extremely well, unlike some other games out there.  I'm looking at you Splendor.  If you enjoy games like Mod-X or Abalone (sigh, or chess) you will want to give Onitama a look.
Game 3: Snow Tails
IMG_0206[1]I'm going to get fired for this, but I don't like this game.  I'm not a fan of racing for the most part and unless it has some wacky theme like Hot Rod Creeps or Camel Up I get bored easily.  To me it's math the game.  As the movement rules were explained to me my brain started wandering when it recognized an algebra problem and ran for cover.  If you've played Formula D you've played Snow Tails.  Same game but this is doggie drag racing.  But it does have dogs in it.  I probably would have enjoyed the game more if the rules had been a little more clear.  We struggled with what moves along the track were legal and which were abusive.  I also think it would have been more fun if we had been a little more reckless.  Corners have speeds assigned to them and if you take the corner at a higher than printed speed you take damage.  Both of us were playing pretty safe.  We were also playing with only two players on a track that had no obstacles aside from the walls.  I think more things and players to have to dodge, or crash into,  would increase the entertainment factor.

Once again International Tabletop Day in the Treasure Valley was a fun, sucessful day that saw people unplugging from their electronics to sit in the presence of others and have some fun.  Everyone I talked to was enjoying themselves and the energy in the store was overwhelmingly positive.  If you missed it this year keep your eye out for next year to get in on all the opportunities it offers to enjoy yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment