Wednesday, July 1, 2015

We need to talk about Kevin and other true stories I didn't make up...


Hey guys and gals, Christian with www.wizardden.com and Team Rogue T3ch here to with some exciting news. Some of you may be familiar with www.roguedeckbuilder.com and the youtuber Kevin Crimin. For those of you who are not, Kevin is the proclaimed "Rogue Deckbuilder". He has a youtube channel dedicated to showcasing innovative and fun Rogue brews. I have personally been a fan of his content for a few years now and with the recent revamping of his website have been offered an opportunity to write articles and post videos for it. I recently accepted the offer and am super stoked for the opportunity! Just to clarify, I'll still be posting content here as well. I'll just have a second outlet to post Rogue T3ch and Wizard Den content and share our awesomeness with even more awesome people such as yourselves. That being said, We need to talk about Kevin...



Kevin is well known for piloting the modern deck 'Soul Sisters' to great success and was featured on www.gatheringmagic.com sharing his experiences at pro-tour Dragons Maze after piloting that archetype to victory at his local modern PTQ and earning him an invite to the event. Now that's old news, but, the archetype is anything but that. Having been used by him in a recent video series to finish 4-1 in a preliminary pro-tour qualifier on magic online followed by a respectable finish in the pro-tour qualifier itself. As well as his recent qualification to the Online Modern Festival finishing 4-1 once again has inspired me to give the deck a try for myself. Here is the 75 I have sleeved up and in my deck box right now!



Soul Sisters

Creatures: 27
4 Soul's Attendant
4 Soul Warden
4 Serra Ascendant
3 Martyr of Sands
4 Ajani's Pridemate
4 Squadron Hawk
4 Ranger of Eos

Spells: 12
4 Path to Exile
4 Honor of the Pure
4 Spectral Procession

Land: 21
4 Windbrisk Heights
4 Flagstones of Trokair
1 Ghost Quarter
12 Plains

Sideboard: 15
4 Celestial Flare
3 Sundering Growth
3 Kor Firewalker
2 Return to the Ranks
2 Stony Silence
1 Wrath of God

That's the deck. My Version is a bit out dated. It should have 3-4 Auriok Champion in the 75 somewhere, but, they are sold out locally and are quite expensive sitting at $25 a piece!
So, none for me as of right now.
I ran This version through a Modern Monday event here at the wizard den. Let's see how it did.

Results!

Round 1: 
New players esper-exalted home brew.
I lose the die roll but get the nut draw. Turn one Serra ascendant, turn two Martyr, Activate to 35 life, swing 6/6 flying lifelink. Game was over.
No Sideboard.
On the Draw. Lead with Soul Warden, turn two, 2x Soul's Attendant, turn 3 spectral procession into turn four ranger for two ascendants. Opponent conceded.

Round 2
Merfolk
Lose the die roll but am rewarded for being on the draw as my opponent mulligans to five. Misses land drops until playing his first island on turn three. Game was over before it started.

Sideboard:
Out: 4 Squadron Hawk
In: 3 Sundering Growth (For vial/Spreading sea's) and 1 Wrath of god as they tend to flood the board.

On the draw again. He leads on Vial. No turn one play for me. No turn two play for him. I Sundering Growth the vial. Turn three Honor of the Pure into turn four spectral and he can't race. I take the match 2-0

Round 3
G/W Hatebears
I lose the die roll but have the nut draw. Turn one serra ascendant into turn two martyr, active to 35. Turn three I play a second serra ascendant. He scoops.
No Sideboard.
On the draw,  Mulligan to six. Opponent mulligans to five. Turn one serra ascendant, turn two martyr, active for 9 life gain, attack for lifelink up to 30 life and turn on ascendant. Draws were dead but I served damage with the ascendant until he conceded.

Round 4
G/R Tron
I win the die roll (Yay!). Unfortunately, this is a bad match up and my results her show that. My opponent (Ariel Adamson) has natural turn three tron. He filtered through a cromatic star to cast pyroclasm on turn two. Karn on turn three and a second pyroclasm on turn four. I scoop.

Sideboard:
Out: 1 Honor of the Pure, 1 Serra ascendant, 2 soul warden, 1 ranger of eos.
In: 2 stony Silence, 2 Sundering growth, 1 return to the ranks

On the play I mulligan to six. Lead on Serra Ascendant, turn two squadron hawk (Grab all 3 copies). Turn 3 Martyr+Activate. Attack twice and opponent scoops.
No Sideboard
Game three I'm on the draw. Mulligan to six. Turn two stony Silence. He has natural tron. Turn three karn, Turn four wurmcoil. I flooded out and had no action. Was a bad keep and I got punished. lost 1-2.

Round 5
Grixis Control
I win the die roll. Turn two honor, turn three spectral, turn four ranger. He had no action and scoops.
Sideboard:
Out: 1 spectral 1 honor the pure
In: 2 return to the ranks
On the draw. He plays anger the gods on turn three, turn five and snapcaster+anger on turn seven. Shut down my board advancement and beat me to death with a tasigur.
Game three I'm on the play. Lead on Ascendant, turn two pridemate. He angers me on turn three, turn four, turn six and snapcaster angers me on turn eight. I couldn't recover from four anger the gods and he beat me out with a gurmag angler. Tough beats.



Finished 3-2.

Changes:
I intend to cut all copies of kor firewalker from the sideboard. It's overkill against burn when you have Martyr of Sands in your deck. I want to go up to 3 copies of Return to the ranks and Stony silence and up to 1 Archangel of Thune in the sideboard. No changes to the main as of now, but, I would like to switch 3-4 auriok champions over squadron hawk and secure the wastes over martyr of sands and run a version closer to Kevin's 75 from his recent videos that can be found here.

The Future
I'll be doing an article and possibly a Video series on the upcoming Modern Festival where I'll either be; Piloting a friends Restore Balance deck in the tournament itself or Breaking down fellow Rogue T3ch Member Josh Kreiter's games and his overall finish in the event. Either way, look out for that in the coming weeks on here, as well as that and other video's and content on www.Roguedeckbuilder.com!

"Gone Rogue"

Until next time.
-Christian






No comments:

Post a Comment