Thursday, March 27, 2014

New deck that could change the format with Wizard Den!

Hey guys! I'm back for another article and this week it's going to be a deck tech of a list I found while in Spokane, WA for the PTQ a few weeks back. We managed to get in early enough on Friday the day before the event to attend their local Friday Night Magic where I first discovered this deck. It was very simple, but surprisingly fast and annoyingly difficult to deal with. The deck was a Mono-Green aggro piloted by a guy named Stephen Girdner. He ended up crushing me at FNM and I spoke with him later on the next day after I had finished dropping from the event at 3-3 and decided to get in a draft to lift my spirits. He said he was drawing into the top 8 at the time and he allowed me to look through his deck and sideboard. I'm writing this from memory, so it's probably not exactly card-for-card, but here's the idea:

Mono-Green Aggro

Creatures: 34
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Experiment One
2 Wasteland Viper
2 Gyre Sage
4 Kalonian Tusker
2 Scavenging Ooze
4 Swordwise Centaur
2 Boon Satyr
4 Renegade Krasis
2 Nylea, God of the Hunt
2 Polukranos, World Eater
2 Mistcutter Hydra

Spells: 4
4 Aspect of Hydra

Lands: 22
20 Forest
2 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx

He mentioned he was able to make the Top-8 cut in two PTQ's in two weeks so, needless to say, I was impressed. I was excited for this deck and couldn't wait to try it out for myself. I threw it together and gave it a test run at an FNM and it was very good! I managed to beat Mono-Blue and other various aggro archetypes simply because the creatures in this deck are just as fast as every other aggro deck, but mine are bigger! Tons of 3 powered creatures coming out on turn two and Experiment Ones becoming 3/3 or even 4/4 by turn 2-3 make this deck a very formidable foe.

While playing the deck, I seem to be tempted into splashing other colors for some other powerful creatures, but the deck works so well on its own that I have to force myself to leave it alone. Splashing another color just gives you lands that come into play tapped and severely slows down the deck, not to mention cutting down on your devotion which makes Aspect of Hydra possibly the best card in the deck.

This deck is a lot of fun for those of you who enjoy some turning lots of guys sideways. If any of you decide to try it out, let me know what you think and what kinds of changes you would make!

Thanks for reading,
DannyO
Wizard Den

No comments:

Post a Comment